Assistant Dean (Social Science)
Contact InformationOffice: Room 9438, SSC
Tel: 519 661-2111, 87236
Integrated resource management (water)
Research interests are in resource and environmental management including:
- Integrated water management in Canada
- Integrated catchment management in Queensland, Australia
- Policy implementations and evaluation
GEO 9099 – Research Design and Presentation
Supervised Graduate Students and Theses Titles
- D. Bednar (joint-supervised) (2018) The Governance of Climate Change Adaptation in Canada: Two Multilevel Case Studies
- F. Sekercioglu (joint-supervised) (2018) Ontario's Small Non-community Drinking Water Systems: Risk Perception and Communication Relating to Drinking Water Safety
- G. Oulahen (joint-supervised) (2014) The production of unequal vulnerability to climate hazards in Metro Vancouver, Canada
- J. Schmidt (2012) Fairness in water allocation
- C. Priddle (2009) Adaptive Capacity in Response to Revolutionary Change: The Case of Ontario's Conservation Authorities
- D. Walters (2005) An assessment of a decision support system for nutrient management in Ontario
- D. Bednar (2012) Geography, News Media Discourse, and Water Management: A Case Study of the Devils Lake Outlet
- B. Cook (2006) Flood damages in British Columbia: An analysis of causal factors
- D. Sandink (2006) Perceptions of flood hazards in Peterborough, Ontario
- C. Powell (2003) Assessing the implementation of storm water management for the protection of wetlands in London, Ontario
- D. Walters (1999) Evaluating Ontario's drainage act and wetland management
- J. Mateo‑Vega (1999) An evaluation of environmental assessment in Costa Rica
- T. Saab (1999) Pollution from septic systems: Assessing the implementation of Ontario EPA regulation 358 and the clean up rural beaches (CURB) program
- B. Steinburg MPA (1997) Policy formulation for the management of lands owned by conservation authorities in Ontario
- R. Tyrie (1995) PCB contamination of Pottersburg Creek: A study of risk awareness, perception and management
- J. Scherer (1995) Floodplain regulation and the residential real estate sector in Cambridge and Brantford, Ontario
- V. Hammond (1994) Evaluation of floodplain as implemented by the Upper Thames Conservation Authority: A case study of London, Ontario 1978-1989
- I. Wilcox (1992) Environmental regulation: An assessment of the practice of agricultural pollution control in Ontario
Sekercioglu. M.F., J. White, D. Shrubsole and J. Baxter. (2017). "Relationship between Operational Characteristics of Small Non-community Drinking Water Systems and adverse Water Quality Incidents in Southern Ontario, Canada." Applied Ecology and Environmental Research.
Sekercioglu. M.F., J. White, D. Shrubsole and J. Baxter. (2017). “Towards a Sustainable Small Non-Community Drinking Water System in Ontario: Owners’ Risk Awareness and Perceptions to Water Safety.” Journal of Sustainable Development.
Shrubsole, D., D. Waters, B. Veale and B. Mitchell. (2017). “Integrated Water Management in Canada: The Experience of Watershed Agencies.” International Journal of Water Resources Development. 33(3): 349-359.
Sandink, D., P. Kovacs, G. Oulahen and D. Shrubsole. (2016). “Flood Management in Canada: Review and Commentary on Cost Sharing and Risk Transfer for Flood Losses.” Canadian Water Resources Journal. 41(1-2): 220-237.
Oulahen, G., D. Shrubsole and G. McBean. (2015). “Determinants of residential vulnerability to flood hazards in Metro Vancouver, Canada.” Natural Hazards. 78: 939-956.
Walters, D. and D. Shrubsole. (2014). “An Assessment of the Implementation of a Rural Land Use Planning Decision Support System.” The Canadian Geographer.
Mitchell, B., C. Priddle, D. Shrubsole, B. Veale and D. Walters. (2014). "Integrated water resource management: lessons from conservation authorities in Ontario, Canada.” International Journal of Water Resources Development. 30(3): 460-474.
Schmidt, J.J. and D. Shrubsole. (2013). “Modernity and water ethics: implications for shared governance.” Environmental Ethics. 22: 359-379.
Walters, D.F., R. Smolikova-Wachowiak, M. Wachowiak, D. Shrubsole and J. Malczewski. (2013). “Ontario’s Nutrient Calculator: Overview and Focus on Sensitivity Analysis.” Journal of Agricultural Science. 5(11): 189-200.
Chapters in Books
Shrubsole, D. (2013). “A History of Flood Management Strategies in Canada Revisited.” Climate Change and Flood Risk Management: Adaptation and Extreme Events at the Local Level. E.C.H. Keskitalo (ed.). Page 8 of 27. Edward Elgar Publishing: Northampton, Mass. 95-120. (Refereed).
Fellmann, D., A. Getis, J. Getis, D. Shrubsole and J. Hopkins. (2009). Human Geography: Landscapes of Human Activities (2nd Canadian edition). McGraw Hill, Ryerson Higher Education: Whitby.